Thursday, April 1, 2010

First Attempt at Plein Aire for the Season!



The forecast was for fabulous weather, so I packed up my box easel and lunch and went to Holiday Park. I forgot, it's spring break, so the park was PACKED with kids! In order to get some solitude I hauled my equipment (15 - 20 lbs?) down to the river bank, about a 15 minute walk, which wouldn't have been too bad except I had also done my longest run for the season this morning, and my legs are killing me!
Spring at a riverbank means MUD, and lots of it, which is what I set up my easel in. When I started I was in the shade, but within 30 minutes I was in sun, and could hardly see my canvas anymore from the glare. I forgot my Liquin, so used terpenoid as my medium, and forgot my sunscreen, but at least had water. After about an hour of painting I'd had it. I packed up my load and headed back, or at least what I thought was back the way I had come. After climbing some unfamiliar looking hills, and scrambling in more mud, I finally found another human being who pointed me in the right direction, which of course was not where I was headed. By the time I got back to my car I had been out over 2 hours, but only painted for one. I finished my first plein aire painting of the season in my studio.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh!....my first comment didn't go through, so will try again.

    Great 1st go at it. At least you gave it an hour. The reflections are very nice and overall the painting has a good sense of light and atmosphere. Fantastic start of many more to come.

    ReplyDelete